We’ve been watching a lot of AMC’s The Walking Dead on Netflix lately and even though we don’t know where to find Season 3 (seriously, if anyone knows, drop some knowledge on us), we’re looking forward to the new Season 4 that’s starting in the fall. When we get excited about upcoming events (or TV shows) the first thing we ask ourselves is “So, what are we going to drink?”
This question is especially relevant when dealing with The Walking Dead because, seriously, if zombies were trying to eat us everyday we would drink heavily. Here are a few cocktails that you can either a) drink while watching The Walking Dead or perhaps a non-crappy zombie-themed movie, or b) drink when you look out your window, see the un-dead stumbling toward your home and realize the zombie apocalypse is upon us.
Haven’t you always wanted to drink a zombie? No. Too bad, you’re going to.
- Mix 1 oz. light rum, 1 oz. dark rum and 1oz. apricot brandy in a cocktail shaker. Then add 1 oz. lime juice, 2 dashes of grenadine and shake it well.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with ice and then fill it with orange juice, leaving enough room to float 1 oz. Bacardi 151 rum on top
- You’re supposed to garnish with a cherry and orange slice, but who has time for that stuff when they’re dealing with zombies?
The Zombie Apocalypse Cocktail
Dude…this cocktail is for real men only, so go ahead and move to the next drink if you’re not manly enough for this. Want to know the first ingredient in this? CALF BRAINS. No joke. It was invented by a bartender in San Francisco who knows that the only way to make an authentic zombie cocktail is with some straight up brains.
Okay, this is really complicated, so we’re going to direct you to the full Zombie Apocalypse Cocktail recipe to get it done, but here’s your shopping list:
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh calf brains, sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 oz. Lemon Hart 151 Demerara Rum
- 6 oz. crushed ice
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz. falernum
- 1/2 oz. Curacao
- 1 1/2 oz. Rhum Barbancourt Five Star
- 1 scant barspoon creme de violette
- Dash of Elemakule Tiki Cocktail Bitters
- 1 tsp. grenadine
Even if you’re not dead, you may feel like it after running from zombies all day. Have a refreshing Corpse Reviver and give yourself a jump-start.
- Put a cocktail glass in the freezer to chill
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and add 3/4 oz. Cointreau (or triple sec), 3/4 oz. gin, 3/4 oz. lemon juice and a dash of absinthe.
- Shake until the outside of the shaker is frosted and strain into the chilled glass
We’re willing to make the argument that if zombies are trying to eat you, you won’t have time to gather 16 ingredients and whip up something that could be on Iron Chef (secret ingredient: calf brains?). So just grab a solo cup and pour three fingers of your most expensive bourbon in there and take it to go.
What will you be drinking during season four of The Walking Dead?