If you know anything about astrology and the zodiac signs, Scorpios are known for being “interesting” to deal with. Scorpios are considered to be the most sexual, intense, passionate sign of the zodiac – this can be a really good thing, and a really bad thing. They are fiercely loyal, but they can be insanely jealous and critical of your every move. If you’re dating or married to one, you are probably a very special human being.
That is why some genius out there created “Married to a Scorpio Support Day” happening today. If your significant other is a Scorpio, you probably need a drink. We pulled together some Scorpio-themed drinks so that you can share them with your lover; you can tell them you wanted to make the drinks to celebrate them (also genius) but then you’ll also be giving yourself an excellent reason to drink.
This recipe is from Martha Stewart and she says that Scorpios are “determined, curious, and good at solving problems.” Hmm, she probably never dated one before.
- Mix 3 oz. sloe gin, 3 oz. ginger ale, 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. grated peeled fresh ginger, and ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain into 2 ice-filled glasses.
- Serve each with a lemon-peel twist.
The Second Circle cocktail was developed by astrologer/bartender Patricia Clark Hippolyte for Saveur’s “Mixstrology” series. She says this drink screams Scorpio because of the intense color, depth of flavor and a bit of a bite.
- Combine 2 oz. bourbon, 1 oz. ruby port, 1 tsp. maple syrup, and a dash of Angostura bitters in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled champagne coupe.
- Garnish with cherries, preferably pierced by a plastic sword.
The Urban Phoenix
Chilled Magazine created this cocktail to celebrate Scorpios, but it’s a special nod to Scorpion Keith Urban. They gave a long explanation, but all you need to know is it tastes good.
- Pour 2 oz. gold tequila in the bottom of a mug.
- Fill with 1 cup of piping hot Mexican Drinking Chocolate*.
- Garnish with a dried chili arbol (use the one you cooked)
*Mexican Drinking Chocolate: Heat 1 chili arbol, 1/2 tablet Mexican drinking chocolate, 2 cups of milk. Mash the chocolate completely and whisk. Be sure to taste it periodically during the heating process and remove the chili when the spice reaches a level that you like. The drink will be ruined if it is too spicy.
So Scorpio lovers, grab a drink and enjoy your day. We’re here for you, cocktails in hand.