Let’s cut to the chase: bacon is awesome. Everyone knows bacon is awesome. Even vegetarians know bacon is awesome, which is why the continually try to create a fake bacon that tastes good (they haven’t succeeded yet because everyone knows the only good bacon is bacon).
Today? Well, today is the day where all of us bacon lovers get together and celebrate because it’s National Bacon Day.
We like to multitask, so we wanted to find some cocktail recipes that let us drink alcohol and eat bacon at the same time (also known as the American dream). Make any or all of these extremely manly bacon cocktails today and give some extra praise to the bacon gods for all of the good they do in this world.
Smoky Bacon Bloody Mary
Blood Marys are the classic brunch drink, so you can start your National Bacon Day with this Smoky Bacon Bloody Mary cocktail and no one is going to judge your decision to drink at 10AM.
- In an ice-filled cocktail shaker add 1 1/2 oz. bacon flavored vodka (or infuse your own vodka with bacon), 4 oz. tomato juice, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1-2 dashes of hot sauce, the juice of half a lemon, and 1/2 tsp. dried ground horseradish. Shake well.
- Pour into a seasoned salt-rimmed glass and garnish with a piece of cooked bacon, a celery stalk, and your favorite pickled vegetables.
Bacon Bourbon Old Fashioned
This Bacon Bourbon Old Fashioned just screams “testosterone!” You’re going to have to beat the ladies off with a stick while you drink this one. Enjoy.
- Make homemade bacon bourbon (recipe through the link above)
- In a cocktail shaker, add 2 oz. bacon bourbon, 3/4 oz. grade A pure maple syrup, and 2-3 dashes of orange bitters.
- Shake and strain into a rocks glass; add ice if desired.
- Garnish with 1 piece of fresh orange peel.
The Meat and Potato Cocktail
Some cocktails have a million ingredients in them and while that’s all well and good, there are times where you just want to be able to mix up something awesome in under a minute. Living up to its simplistic name, the Meat and Potato Cocktail from DC’s Artbar has very few ingredients, but packs a great punch.
- In a cocktail shaker, add 2 oz. House Oaked Vodka and 1 oz. Blanc Vermouth. Shake well.
- Pour into a rocks glass and garnish with candied bacon.