While you can’t beat a simple glass of red, there’s something so divine about wine ice cream. Our friends over at eReplacementParts.com are bringing the best of both worlds together. Letting you enjoy your favorite flavors in a single bite. Unsurprisingly, this trendy scrumptious concoction has been causing a serious buzz. And while companies and retailers have begun to produce their own versions of wine ice cream, it’s also possible to make it right in your own home.
Homemade versions are budget-friendly and super easy to customize. The best part is you don’t need an ice cream maker or any pricey ingredients. You only need these simple ingredients:
- 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup sweet red or white wine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Extra add-ins such as berries, chocolate, etc.
Now for supplies. Another easy list:
- 2 heat-proof bowls
- Deep saucepan
- Deep baking dish or freezer-safe glass container
- Plastic wrap or wax paper
And finally. The how-to:
- Lightly whisk the egg yolks in a bowl; do not over beat. Set aside the bowl.
- In the saucepan, combine the milk, cream and sugar. Stir over medium heat until the sugar totally dissolves.
- Transfer the hot cream to bowl of egg yolks and mix well.
- Return this mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat to form a thick and creamy custard. This should take about 4-6 minutes.
- Pour this mixture into the second bowl and add the wine. Mix well.
- Cover the deep baking dish or freezer-safe glass container with a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper. Carefully pour the mixture into the container.
- At this point, you can add your tasty extras such as dark chocolate chips, nuts or berries.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Finally, transfer the ice ream to the freezer and let sit for 3-4 hours.
To find more tips and tricks, and wine ice cream extra pairings, check out their website here.