We always knew about the Inauguration festivities that happen every four years, but we had no idea about the thought that goes in to the alcoholic beverages being served. Those politicians know their booze. We caught a glimpse of the food and drink pairings for the upcoming 57th Inaugural luncheon taking place on January 21 and we’re kind of hoping our invitation will be arriving any day now…
The Lunch Menu:
• First Course: Lobster tails with New England Clam Chowder Sauce, sautéed spinach and sweet potato hay
• Second Course: Hickory grilled bison with red potato horseradish cake and wild huckleberry reduction
• Third Course: Hudson Valley apple pie with sour cream ice cream, aged cheese and honey
• A special Inaugural-labeled edition of Korbel’s Natural Russian River Valley. This will be the 8th year Korbel has been involved with the Inauguration and Korbel’s president Gary Heck says “Such a historic celebration deserves to be toasted with American champagne with roots in our country’s most memorable occasions. We are honored.”
• Two New York wines – Bedell Cellars Merlot 2009 from Long Island and Tierce Dry Riesling 2010 from the Finger Lakes. Tierce is the collaborative effort between three of the Fingers Lakes’ top winemakers – Peter Bell of Fox Run, Johannes Reinhardt of Anthony Road and David Whiting of Red Newt Cellars.
If you were the President of the United States, what would you be drinking on your Inauguration?