It’s the original portable breakfast, king of the fruits, and awesomely yellow: it’s the banana. Bananas are so important and yet so underappreciated – but that stops now! Well, for today at least. That’s because today is officially National Banana Day and we must pay homage to this delightful fruit that makes a bowl of Cheerios taste way better.
You know what else bananas are great in? Cocktails, obviously. Banana-flavored drinks may not be your go-to beverage at the local bar, but we highly recommend you live a little and try one of these yummy banana cocktails today!
Caramelized Banana Bourbon Milkshake
To quote Ms. Gwen Stefani, this drink is bananas…B-A-N-A-N-A-S. You’re having this caramelized banana bourbon milkshake for dessert tonight, so make sure you go easy at dinner and save plenty of room for its greatness.
• First, you’re going to caramelize the bananas. Slice up 2 ripe fresh bananas, then heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Put the bananas in the skillet and sprinkle 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar on top. Flip the bananas to distribute the sugar. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bananas are caramelized and golden.
• Add 2 cups of vanilla ice cream, 2 frozen bananas, 1 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of bourbon, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract to a blender. Add the caramelized bananas, reserving a few slices to top the milkshake with. Blend until combined.
• Pour the milkshakes into two glasses, and top with a generous swirl of whipped cream. Add a slice or two of caramelized bananas on top.
This banana breeze cocktail is perfect for a day like today because it gives you one final taste of summer before the fall comes. It is also so easy to make, so very little brain power will be required when you get home from work tonight.
• Add 1-2 shots of Cruzan banana rum over ice.
• Pour in Simply Orange with Banana until the glass is 3/4 full.
• Top with Mango Nectar. Stir.
• Garnish with fresh pineapple wedges and enjoy.
Banana Cream Pie Martini
Banana cream pie is one of the best banana-related creations ever made, so you better believe the alcoholic version is going to be crazy good.
• Add 2 oz. premium vanilla vodka to a shaker that is half filled with crushed ice. Shake a few times.
• Add 1 oz. banana liqueur and 1 oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream. Swirl.
• Strain into cold/frozen martini glasses.