According to the American Psychological Association, more than half of all women say they’re “highly stressed,” which can lead to all sorts of issues like weight gain, depression, and even heart disease. If you’re the type of woman that is frequently stressed, but you don’t really do anything to relax, today is the day to chill; it’s National Stress Awareness Day.
We don’t know much about meditation, yoga, or bubble baths, but we do know a thing or two about cocktails. Here are a few drinks you can make today that taste good and also contain ingredients that are known to be calming stress relievers.
An avocado margarita may sound a little strange, but believe us…it’s not. It’s actually pure magic. And avocados are loaded with potassium, an essential mineral that helps keep your blood pressure nice and low.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tsp. celery salt and 4 Tbsp. Kosher salt. Mix well.
- Wet the outside of a Margarita glass with a lime wedge and dip into the salt mixture. Set the glass aside.
- In a mixing glass, muddle half a ripe avocado with 1.5 oz. lime juice and 1.5 oz. agave nectar. Add 1.5 oz. 1800 Silver tequila and 0.75 oz. Cointreau. Top with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into an ice-filed, salt-rimmed Margarita glass. Garnish with lime wedge and serve.
Disaronno Dark Chocolate Cocktail
Chocolate is fabulous for many different reasons, but there’s plenty of research out there that shows dark chocolate may just lower your levels of stress hormones. Also, the sugar releases serotonin which puts you in a better mood.
- Melt 2.6 oz. chopped dark chocolate in a microwave
- In a blender, mix the melted chocolate, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 oz. Disaronno, and ice.
- Serve immediately and put some chocolate shavings in there if you want.
Vitamin C is awesome for stress reduction; it helps regulate cortisol (the primary stress hormone) and prevents blood pressure from spiking in response to stressful situations. With grapefruit, lemon and oranges in it, the Vitamin C-filled Citrus Smack cocktail definitely packs a punch.
- Fill a tall glass with ice and add 1 1/2 oz. rum, 1 1/2 oz. triple sec, and 1 oz. sweet and sour mix.
- Fill the remainder of the glass with grapefruit juice. Stir and then garnish with orange and lemon wedges.
So chill out and have a drink. It’s better for your health.