This may not come as much of a shock to you, but according to a recent study, men are just naturally more forgetful than women in every stage of their lives. The researchers aren’t exactly sure what causes this difference in ability to remember, but they guess that it may be related to the fact that risk factors like high blood pressure and high body mass index are more prevalent in men. Or men just don’t listen as well as women – that’s our hypothesis even though we have no type of medical background.
While we’re talking about research, there’s also a study that moderate alcohol consumption may improve memory. So basically if you’re female and you know how to imbibe properly, your memory should be in pretty good shape. We want to continue to make sure females have a leg up on the male population, so fix one of these cocktails that include ingredients known to boost memory:
Love your berries? A 2012 study out of Harvard found that women who ate at least one cup of blueberries and strawberries per week experienced a 2.5 year delay in mental decline relative to other women who rarely ate berries. Try a yummy mix of blueberries and blackberries in this Berry Cocktail.
- Muddle mint, lime, and blueberries in a cocktail shaker.
- Pour in 1 oz. Blueberry Stolichnaya Vodka and 1/2 oz. Chambord then add ice.
- Shake and strain into a glass and top with a blackberry leaf.
Various nuts and seeds are key for keeping your memory at its best. Nutritionist Joy Bauer says the unsaturated fats in nuts can help improve cholesterol levels and ease inflammation, which ensures a continuous supply to oxygen to your brain. Hmm, we think a Roasted Almond Cocktail is just what the doctor ordered.
- Prepare a martini glass by wetting the rim with International Delight French Vanilla coffee creamer and then sprinkle crushed toasted almonds over the rim. All it to set.
- In an ice-filled martini shaker, add 1 oz. Absolut Vodka, 1 oz. amaretto liqueur, 1 oz. coffee liqueur and 2 oz. International Delight French Vanilla coffee creamer. Shake to combine and pour into the prepared martini glass.
One study in Austria found that giving people two cups of coffee improved memory skills, reaction times, and neuron signaling in the brain. This Licor 43 Coconut Coffee Cocktail sounds delicious, so the memory benefits are simply an added bonus.
- In an ice-filled shaker, pour in 1/2 cup chilled cold brew coffee, 1 oz. aged rum, 1 oz. Licor 43, a pinch of ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 Tbsp. coconut cream, 3/4 oz. heavy cream, and a splash of agave syrup. Shake everything very well.
- Lightly moisten the rim of a cocktail glass and coat in cinnamon sugar.
- Pour the cocktail into the glass and add additional ice if desired.
It’s no secret that men are more forgetful than women. Ladies, boost your memory even further with one of these delicious healthy cocktails.