- Vodka accounts for almost 20-25% of spirits sold today in North America, making it the most popular libation.
- Vodka is made from many different things such as beets, potatoes, wheat and even grapes. The final product doesn’t depend on the ingredients so much as the methods of production.
- Many view vodka as one of the least dangerous alcoholic beverages because it’s filtered of many dangerous chemicals and has less of an after effect on the body. (It is one of the more potent drinks, able to intoxicate quickly and effectively- so drink responsibly!)
- The word vodka stems from the Russian word, vodka, which means water.
In honor of October 4 being National Vodka Day, we’ve compiled four of the most classic vodka drinks that we love.
- The beloved Moscow Mule. You’ve seen the fancy Instagram photos of a chilled copper mug garnished with a lime. The good news is they taste as good as they look. It’s the perfect combination of vodka, lime juice, simple syrup and ginger beer.
- We couldn’t leave out the hangover-curing-Bloody Mary. Whether you like it spicy or smoky, this tomato juice based vodka drink makes any brunch better. Add Worcestershire, celery salt, black pepper, Tabasco, lemon and horseradish to tomato juice and vodka and you’ve got the perfect meal in a glass. These drinks can be garnished with anything from the classic olives and lemon wedge, to mini hamburgers, meatballs and bacon. The possibilities are endless!
- And of course there’s the Cosmopolitan. We all have those nights where we’re feeling a little fancier than a vodka soda, so why not order a Cosmo. This refreshing, pink drink combines vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, and lime juice. Garnished with a lemon or lime, this drink is sophisticated and delicious.
- And last but not least, the Screwdriver. This was probably one of the first vodka drinks you ever made. With just vodka and orange juice, this drink is easy to make yet so good. Garnish with an orange wedge and get your drink on.