Gentlemen, it’s the most wonderful time of the year…it’s football season.
Today is the first Sunday of the NFL’s regular season and we feel like complete people again. We have no idea what we’ve been doing all of these Sundays since February, but it has been a blur without football. Life makes sense again.
We don’t have friends over every Sunday during football season, but we’re definitely inviting some people over today to celebrate properly. We usually just have a ton of beer to choose from, but we want to do things a little differently for this first Sunday. Yes, we are going to attempt football-themed cocktails. It’s cheesy, maybe a little girly, but we don’t care…and neither will you once you take a sip of one of these drinks.
If you think it’s sacrilegious not to have beer during football, this Gridiron Punch is a good compromise. It also serves a crowd, so you won’t look like a selfish jerk who only made one drink for himself.
- Get a big pitcher and add 6 bottles of beer, 2 1/2 cups of pineapple juice, 12 oz. of lemon-lime soda. Stir it up.
- Throw in some lemon, lime, and orange wheels to make it look cool.
Fumblerooskie Jello Shot
“They’re little footballs!” Name that movie and you win at life.
- Sprinkle 4 envelopes of gelatin over 3 cups of cold root beer in a saucepan. Let it stand for 1 minute.
- Heat the root beer/gelatin mixture to a low simmer until the gelatin is completely dissolved (about 5 minutes).
- Off the heat, stir in 1 cup of vanilla vodka.
- Pour the mixture into individual shot glasses and refrigerate until firm (about 3 hours).
- Top each shot with a little whipped cream, or get artistic and use the whipped cream to pipe on football laces.
The Tequila Touchdown tastes awesome; you will probably trick your friends into thinking you tried really hard to make this, but it’s actually super easy.
- Grab a large pitcher and add 2 cups orange juice, 1 cup tequila, and 6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons).
- Tip the pitcher at a slight angle and add 1 1/2 oz. grenadine down the side.
- Divide the mixture among 8 ice-filled glasses and top each glass off with club soda.
Stir, garnish with lemon zest, and serve immediately.