We have to admit that when we’re having a few drinks, we aren’t really thinking about whether or not our breath is getting a little funky. Who has time to do that when there are so many drinks to be had? You may, however, find that by the end of the night, friends are keeping a pretty good distance while you chat. It’s not that they love yelling across the room while having a conversation – it’s more that they can’t stand your breath.
Sorry! The truth hurts sometimes. Don’t worry, though; we’re here to help. Today is National Fresh Breath Day and while it may be difficult to keep your breath smelling fresh while you drink alcohol, there are certain cocktails you can make that give you a better chance at keeping that mouth odor under control.
Fresh Mint Ginger Lemonade
This drink packs a double-whammy because both mint and ginger are great for fighting bad breath. The recipe makes 1 quart of lemonade.
- Make mint ginger simple syrup (recipe found at link above)
- In a large pitcher, combine 3 cups of cold water, 3/4 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 6-7 large lemons), and a full batch of the mint ginger simple syrup. Stir well.
- Add fresh mint and sliced lemon to the pitcher as desired. Chill.
- Serve lemonade chilled or alternatively, over homemade mint ice cubes (just put mint leaves in your ice cube tray with water).
Another friend of your breath is cinnamon because an essential oil in the spice can kill oral bacteria that makes your breath reek.
- Mix all of the following ingredients together in a tall glass: 2 oz. amaretto, 1 oz. Jameson, 1/2 oz. sweetened lime juice, 3 cinnamon sticks, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, and the juice of a lime.
- Add some club soda to top off the glass and serve with ice.
Sparkling Citrus Punch
This punch is filled with citrusy goodness to beat your bad breath. Since dry mouth will frequently cause bad breath, it’s great to have a drink high in citric acid because it stimulates your saliva, which prevents mouth bacteria from setting up shop.
- In a large pitcher, combine 3 cups freshly squeezed orange juice, 1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1 bottle of chilled prosecco or champagne.
- Garnish with slices of orange, grapefruit and lemon.