Country music has always been popular in America, but it has become even more so over the past few years. While pop music tends to be more about the glitz and the glamour, country music has established itself as fun, relatable, and down-to-earth. To celebrate our nation’s love for a good country song, today (September 17) is known worldwide as International Country Music Day. This is the type of day where you’re encouraged to put on your boyfriend’s jeans, a fitted flannel shirt, and a cowboy hat, and just hang out and listen to your favorite country artists.
Whether you’re planning to listen to the country station on Pandora, set up an iTunes playlist, or rock out to a CD (if that’s still your thing), you need a solid cocktail in-hand to complete the experience. Luckily, country musicians excel at proclaiming their love for various alcoholic beverages in their songs, so you’ll have plenty to choose from when it comes to sticking to the country theme.
You may already know what you’re going to drink to mark International Country Music Day, but if you don’t, here’s a small list to help you get started:
- Coke and whiskey from “Drunk on a Plane” by Dierks Bentley
- Double shot of Crown Royal from “Bartender” by Lady Antebellum
- Tequila Sunrise from “Tequila Sunrise” by The Eagles
- Jack (Daniels) and Jim (Beam) [not necessarily mixed together] from “One of the Boys” by Jana Kramer
- Pina Coladas from “Two Pina Coladas” by Garth Brooks
- Moonshine from “Pirate Flag” by Kenny Chesney
If you’re still not sure what to drink, you really can’t go wrong with any kind of beer or whiskey. Tequila, too…unless it “makes your clothes fall off.” You might want to make sure you’re staying in for the night if that’s the case.