Summer has arrived, so it’s time to ditch your old drink dispenser and opt for something a little more unique—a watermelon keg. There’s no easier way to spice up your backyard barbeque or picnic in the park. On a sizzling summer day, entertain guests with this sweet and simple way to serve your drinks. So let’s get to it and celebrate the warm weather with this clever contraption.
To get started, you’ll need:
• 1 large seedless watermelon (the longer and narrower, the better)
• kitchen knife
• cutting board
• big spoon
• large bowl
• apple corer/small knife
• spigot (available on Amazon or your local hardware store)
Making the keg:
1. Wash the watermelon and pat dry.
2. Place the watermelon on its side. Cut 1/4” – 1/2” from both sides, being careful not to slice too deep into the white rind of the fruit. One of the sides should be able to sit upright as a sturdy base.
3. Hollow out the inside of the watermelon with your spoon, leaving about 2” of fruit near the bottom for the spigot to fit. If you wish, scoop the watermelon pieces into a bowl and save for later.
4. About 2” – 3” from the bottom, use your apple corer and small knife to cut a hole for the spigot to fit through the rind. Screw the spigot into place.
5. Sit your watermelon on a plate and pour in your drink recipe!
Essentially, you can put any drink recipe you want inside your keg, but we’d recommend any of these fruiter options.
• Gin Fizz – lime juice, ginger ale and gin.
• Margarita – tequila, triple sec and lime juice.
• Bellini – sugar, lemon juice and champagne or sparkling wine.
• Watermelon Sour – pureed watermelon pieces, fruit juice of your choice, lime juice, gin and sparkling wine.
• Sangria – fruit pieces (4 different types), lime juice, sugar, club soda and white wine.
Now grab a glass, take a sip, and soak up the sun.