Could your relationship use a little injection of some romance? Once you get past the honeymoon phase of dating or marriage, things can get slightly boring sometimes. You’ve got adult responsibilities and problems, which can leave minimal time for the lovey dovey stuff. Well this week, you need to set the DVR and order dinner, because it is National Resurrect Romance Week. This week was created almost 20 years ago to establish a romantic holiday that does not focus on money or “things;” This week, you need to equate romance with time and attention.
We’re going to leave the romance part up to you, but we do want to help you out a little bit – in the form of alcohol, of course. Here are three cocktails you can make this week that can act as aphrodisiacs and really get the party started.
Pickled Oyster Bloody Mary
The name “Pickled Oyster Bloody Mary” probably doesn’t really get you salivating, but trust us here. First of all, this savory cocktail has oysters which are king of the aphrodisiacs. Second of all, this recipe is from Cosmopolitan magazine and they’re basically the sex and romance bible.
- Mix 1 1/2 oz. vodka with 5 oz. Bloody Mary mix
- Pickle the oysters by cooking one quart of oysters in the liquor mix until plump. Remove the oysters and add 1/2 cup cider vinegar to the oyster liquor. Bring the liquid to a boil, add 1 tsp. salt, 2 blades of mace, 10 cloves, 10 peppercorns, 10 allspice berries, and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Boil for 5 minutes, then pour the liquid over the oysters.
- Seal in glass jars and store in the fridge at least overnight.
El Chupacabra Martini
Blood oranges and acai berries are total aphrodisiacs and delicious, to boot. This El Chupacabra Martini is a perfect summer drink that you and your honey will love sharing to re-kindle your romance.
- Combine the following ingredients in an ice-filled shaker: the juice from 4 blood oranges, 4 oz. coconut rum, 2 oz. acai juice, 1 oz. guava nectar, and 1 oz. pineapple nectar.
- Shake until blended and pour strained mix into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a blood orange slice or a star fruit slice.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Martini
This cocktail speaks for itself…seriously, chocolate covered strawberries invented romance. It’s sweet enough to serve as dessert after a nice meal, or you can just skip the meal and drink the cocktail.
- Take a chilled cocktail glass and spin with chocolate syrup.
- Take an ice-filled cocktail shaker and add 1 1/2 oz. Godiva Chocolate liqueur, 1 1/2 oz. white creme de cacao, 1/2 oz. Stoli Strasberi vodka, and 2 1/2 oz. cream.
- Shake once and pour into the glass. Garnish with strawberries.