We’re loving absinthe’s comeback into the mainstream drinking world, so we were really excited to see a new product that puts it in the spotlight. The best part is it combines drinking with dessert …friends, meet Absinthe Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough from MLA Gourmet.
MLA Gourmet has been making premium, all-natural cookie products for a while, but now they are the first company to bring liquor-infused cookie dough to our local grocer’s “Frozen Desserts” section. Made with Lucid Absinthe, the cookies take on the unmistakable anise flavor, along with herbs and botanicals. Apparently absinthe goes great with chocolate so MLA uses dark Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips in the mix. We haven’t tried them yet, but you better believe it’s on the top of our “To Do” list right now.
Since you may not be able to find MLA’s absinthe cookie dough everywhere immediately, you can also make your own absinthe cookies at home if you’re feeling adventurous. Start practicing now and you’ll have the perfect boozy dessert for the holidays.
This recipe from a fine kettle of ish doesn’t use the absinthe in the actual cookie (though it does have anise extract), but it does use it for a delicious glaze you pour on top. We’re going to give you the recipe for the glaze so you can see how the absinthe is used, but if you want to make the whole cookie, make sure you click through to the recipe linked above.
- Melt 1.5 Tbsp. of butter and whisk in 1.5 Tbsp. of absinthe, a pinch of salt and 1 Tbsp. of milk.
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and continue whisking. Continue to add another 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and a tiny bit more milk until the icing reaches a consistency that you like.
- Add 1-2 drops of green food coloring (the icing should be pale green)
- If you taste it and think it needs more flavor, add a few more drops of absinthe or anise extract.
- Refrigerate the icing for 5 minutes so it can firm up a little bit
When you’re done making the cookies, send a batch to us so we can taste the final product. Or you can just keep them for yourself. Whatever.