Some people think that Cinco de Mayo is the official day for drinking margaritas, but we’ve got a surprise for you on this freezing winter weekend. It’s National Margarita Day.
To celebrate this holiday properly, we consulted the passionate pinners over on Pinterest to see if they had any awesome recipes for margaritas. Naturally, it didn’t take long for us to find some delicious looking concoctions that we’ll be mixing up today.
Spicy Grapefruit Margarita
Spicy things are an acquired taste, grapefruits are an acquired taste – but don’t let your preconceived notions stop you from trying this drink. It’s so unique and good that you’ll be happy to have it in your repertoire when your friends are asking for something a little different.
- Mix 2 cups and 2 Tbsp. of tequila with 1-2 habanero chiles (halved) in a large pitcher. Let steep 3 hours, or longer if you want a spicier tequila. Discard the chiles.
- Pour enough water onto a small plate to cover. Pour enough salt onto another small plate to cover by 1/4″. Dip rims of eight 12-ounce glasses into the water, then into the salt, and then fill with ice.
- Add 6 cups fresh pink grapefruit juice to the pitcher of tequila. Fill with ice and stir until cold. Divide among the glasses.
This Miami margarita recipe is found in the cookbook “Nobu Miami: The Party Cookbook” and it just makes you feel like you’re on a Miami beach without a care in the world. Any drink that can do that is worth it to us.
- Place a peeled passion fruit in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Shake passion fruit puree, a dash of freshly squeezed lime juice, 1 oz. honey syrup, 1/2 tsp. Shichimi Togarashi spice powder, and 2 oz. tequila anejo over ice and strain into a chilled snifter or rocks glass.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve immediately.
Coconut Creamsicle Margaritas
We don’t even know what to say about this amazing margarita. It’s like the best dessert you’ve ever had, but in cocktail form.
- Coat the rim of your glass with a little honey, fill a plate with shredded toasted coconut and then dip the rim of the glass into the coconut to completely coat it. Fill the glass with ice.
- In a shaker, combine 2 oz. grand marnier, 2 oz. orange juice, 1 1/2 oz. silver tequila, 1 oz. lime juice, 1 oz. coconut water, 1 oz. canned light coconut milk, and 1 oz. simple syrup. Shake well for 30 seconds.
- Pour over ice and garnish with wedges of oranges and limes.
What are your favorite margarita recipes? Whatever you do today, make sure it involves tequila, lime and a salt rim.